Friday, February 22, 2008

fireworks

Ok so due to the holiday, there have been fireworks going off all day, non-stop. When I say non-stop, I MEAN IT. It sounds like a Civil War battlefield outside or something. Bang Bang Boom Boom Bang Boom. It might sound like gunshots, but I need to remind myself I'm not in America anymore. Chinese people aren't gun-obsessed. They're fireworks obsessed. I'm not joking at all or making light of the problem...while Americans have a gun problem I assert that the Chinese have a firework problem. First of all, they set off fireworks all the time here, most of the time with no apparent reason. I'm not lying when I say a day hasn't gone by when I haven't heard a firework. Secondly, they let anybody purchase fireworks and use them. Anybody includes toddlers. I have seen so many kids way younger than Jake playing with fireworks and related products. In the villages in Yunnan, the kids would THROW the fireworks at us and laugh. Scary. Fire in general seems to be "not a big deal" because I see kids with lighters and matches everywhere. You can buy fireworks anywhere here, too. I bet the Chinese just put "fireworks"on the grocery shopping list like milk or bread because they use them so much and you could buy them at the same place.

No comments: