Friday, January 25, 2008

So for the past two days the sky has been blue. That's a big deal here.

Yesterday I visited a rehabilitation facility that is still in the setup phase. I met two Filipinos there, one was a Physical Therapist, the other an Occupational Therapist. Most therapists here are 'imported' from the Philippines apparently. Anyways, the place they're setting up for the kids is really wonderful... I can tell that these people really know what they're doing and that they really care about the well-being of the children. This facility in particular will be for children with limited or no mobility, and these two men, with the help of ayis (caregivers) will work to help these children achieve mobility. It's quite inspiring what these people can accomplish with hard work and dedication... and their success rate is astounding.
The most interesting thing that the PT told me was when he was talking about the need for training of the caregivers. Ayis here don't have experience caring for special-needs children, so right now that's his main job is to teach them how to properly care for the children. It sounds like this is a big problem everywhere in this country, though.
I am also attempting to contact various organizations around the city that deal with autistic children. I am really hoping I get to meet this one lady named Tian Huiping who founded the Xingxingyu (Stars and Rain) School for Autistic Children. Her son is autistic and years ago when she was trying to get help for him, she realized there was none. She found out about this program for the rehabilitation of autistic children in Taiwan and then she realized that she could establish a similar program here, where it was desperately needed.
So I'm looking into that and reading a lot of stuff online about autism in China. I found a scholar in Utah that writes articles about autism in China and I'm hoping that they respond to my email. My research project is going to be difficult - lots of field research that could be hindered by the language barrier. We'll see what happens.

No comments: